“Be healthy and take care of yourself, but be happy with the beautiful things that make you, you.”
Whether it’s fitness, nutrition, self-care or overall health and wellness, there are so many ways to be healthy and set yourself up for success; so that you can take care of your mind, body, and soul!
It’s my birthday this month and I’m turning 28, so I thought I’d do something fun and come up with 28 steps that lead to a healthier you! People tend to always put health and wellness on the back burner because it seems so exhausting taking care of yourself, but what’s really exhausting is sitting on the couch for hours on end straining your eyes… You only have one body with one mind, so let’s try to better ourselves! Shall we?!
Here are 28 steps that will lead you to a healthier version of yourself, with a better and healthier daily routine, which will make you will feel more at peace!
Let’s dive in!
1. TOSS THAT SCALE INTO THE GARBAGE! First and foremost, stop relying on the scale! We need to get it out of ours heads, that if the number jumps, it could mean anything! Water retention, do you need to go to the bathroom?, muscle mass, etc. Water retention comes from not drinking enough water. Your body needs to hold on to water since you’re not drinking what you should. Getting into a better relationship with the scale or not having it at all is key. Instead, take progress pictures. They really do work.
Read ” 16 Things I’ve learned from my fitness journey”, so you can also see what my progress pictures look like! It’s pretty amazing seeing your results!
2. Start a better morning routine! We all dread getting up feeling exhausted and having 0 energy to do anything. By getting yourself up an hour or heck even 30 mins earlier will help you start your day off right and you’ll feel much better about it too!
Enjoy a cup or if you’re like my husband a couple cups of coffee! 😉 Make yourself some breakfast and enjoy the morning before you start work. I’m at work for 8:30 am, but I get up at 6:15 or 6:30am. I have my cup of warm lemon water and work on my blog stuff, while I wake up and wait to build up my appetite. I have a full on breakfast and prep some of meals for the day, if I didn’t do it the day before. Not feeling rushed is honestly the best feeling and the best way to start your day!
3. Drinking more water has helped my body in so many ways! I feel like my hair and nails have been growing like crazy. Most people also confuse hunger with dehydration. If your pee is any tone of yellow you should be drinking more water! Drinking water helps flush out all the toxins and bacteria. Your body is made up of about 60% water, so try to drink more on the regular. Make water unboring by adding some fresh lemon, limes, cucumbers, or even strawberries.
4. Meal prepping will save your life! Again with #1 if you get up early enough prepping stuff in the a.m is no biggy. However, if you’re not a morning person and you have overall health goals, I highly recommend prepping some meals the day before. Put your yogurt, oatmeal and whatever else you eat for a snack into containers and if you track your macros, then weighing out your food the day before will make you feel less stressed than when you do it the day of.
5. Having a morning and night face routine is key to proper face care. I also add in exfoliating twice a week. Getting older, you realize that face and skin care is very important. I use The Ordinary products and absoulty love them! It’s very inexpensive and it works just great! They do sell this online at Sephora only, but I did find out that The Bay sells them in stores!
6. “Me” time is important and you should do things for yourself more often. We definitely get caught up in our busy lives with work, kids, and just an overall thing we call life. BUT, we need to pencil in some time for ourselves too! I feel like when you’re constantly on the go you will start to get grumpy and just feel “burnt out” like how I felt when Jamie and I were travelling for 4 months. Crank on some music and dance around your house, have a bubble bath, light some candles, because good smelling things always make us feel better, warm and cozy. Watch a movie alone, enjoy a walk, go shopping, get a professional facial done, etc! There are so many options for some me time with any type of budget! So no excuses! Just being alone in the house sometimes feels great!
7. Spend quality time with family. No really, it makes you feel so much better if you’re in a rut! My parents are 4 hours away, so it’s always a ball when Jamie and I go up for the weekend. Quality time with your mom is honestly what we need more of! ( I love you, mom.)
8. Try your best to find a job and career path you enjoy! Hating your job is honestly the worst feeling in the world! It truly affects your mental health and you will be stressed all the time, because everything will annoy you when you’re unhappy. It’s easier said than done, but I’m just figuring out my job goals now! It can definitely be scary not knowing what you want to do with your life, but sometimes you just need to take that first leap and go for it!
9. Make going to the gym and working out a priority. You really don’t know “that feeling” until you go, what I mean is leaving that gym after a good hard workout and you feel completely different. If you were annoyed or very stressed before you had a workout, leaving the gym makes you forget about the bad mood you were in. Being active is great for your body and mind! Not to mention getting those gains, so it’s a win-win! Great mood and muscles? Uhhh, yes please! 😉
10. love yourself and your body! Body acceptance can be a struggle for some, but I’m going to just flat out and say it, if you don’t love your body because of your weight then you need to change that. Whether you need to lose weight or want to put on some weight, you have that ability to change it yourself! No one, or no products will do it for you. Get off your a$$ and work for what you want. #sorrynotsorry!
At the end of the day we need to truly love ourselves and accept our body! You’re a very special and unique person, so learn to work with what you’ve got! I used to be super skinny, it’s just the way it was and yes genetics play a part in it, however you can change that just by doing work! I worked out hard and lifted heavy weights, I ate a certain amount of calories and now I’m thicker and consider myself to not be skinny. It’s not about being “skinny or fit” it’s about being happy and healthy! 🙂
11. Learn to take a break from technology. Instead of always going for a walk with music, or having your phone on you, sometimes it feels great to leave it behind. Be with your thoughts and think about life! We need more peace in our life!
12. Please for your sanity never rely on “bad fitness products” If you want more information read about “Trash Fitness Products”. Some people want the easy way or the “quick fix”, but it won’t help you in the long run. In order to be a healthier you, you should want to better yourself the natural way. No skinny teas, or waist trainers. They will ruin your mental health.
13. Always have fruits and veggies in the house. Fruit make a great snack if you have a sweet tooth. Try freezing some grapes… They taste like popsicles! Veggies are great to snack on too with some hummus or with your lunch and dinner. You can make them flavourful by adding spices, roasting them etc. If you need help “spicing up your foods” read “Ways To Stop Eating Bland Foods”. I have a ton of helpful information to help spice up anything and everything! Healthy foods can be enjoyable if you know how to use what you have in the kitchen.
14. Try to never have junk food in the house. Out of sight out of mind! Which is SO true! Jamie and I never have junk food in the house. When we crave snacks we have to go out and get it, which allows us to figure out whether or not we really want to go get it. When you have tons of junk in the house you see it often, which will only hurt your progress because you will be snacking on it way more than just going out once in awhile for that ice cream.
15. Continue taking care of your teeth and body. Always go to your doctor for checkups and dental checkups/ cleaning. They are both very important!
16. Get some zzzzzzz’s! Try to always get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Put down your phones and get your rest!
17. Practice gratitude every single day! Being thankful will boost your happiness. We have so much to be thankful for. Having this COVID-19 pop up out of nowhere really makes me realize that anything can happen in a blink of an eye. So instead of complaining on a regular basis about little things going on in your life, learn to think about the positive things instead!
18. Write down your goals, talk and think about it often. When you talk about your short/long-term goals it helps you keep yourself on track and remind yourself to keep pushing. Talking about our goals is important and it’s a great to say things out loud!
19. Take the stairs, park further away. Anything to get you walking a bit more!
20. Start reading food labels! A lot of people just throw stuff in the cart and think that’s that! Yes, a lot of people read the nutrition facts, but do you even read the ingredients? Sometimes just reading the nutritional facts can play tricks on you. The stuff you’re eating might have lots of extra preservatives. You may think you’re just eating “pre made chicken burgers” but the ingredients list can be HUGE! Always pay attention to this stuff! Also the first ingredient is what it’s mostly made of. So if sugar is the first one on the list, that means sugar is the main ingredient! Be careful!
21. Find a hobby you enjoy and stick with it. Being active and eating clean should be part of life, to keep us as healthy inside and out! However finding a hobby is always a great way to keep you sane. Most people watch hours on end of tv after work, try to get yourself out of the house and enjoy something else. Painting, tennis, any type of lessons, etc.
22. Don’t let the weekends become your “weak end”! Just because it’s the weekend doesn’t mean you need to fall off track. Enjoy going out, but just be mindful. Everything comes down to moderation. This means you should still enjoy life and hang out with the people you love, but just be aware of what you put into your body if going out with friends and family involves food! Have a glass of wine or 2, but don’t have 3 wines and then switch to something else. I mean having those nights you just let loose can be enjoyable every once in awhile! Don’t let it become your every single weekend!
23. Stretching, mobility work, meditating and doing some deep breaths will have you feeling “ahhh.” Using a foam roller or a lacrosse ball is great to get deep in your muscles. You’re basically your own RMT. Your muscles and body will love you for the extra TLC.
24. Work on handling stress the right way. Instead of smoking or eating, try journaling, meditating, or have a bath with soft music. Keep on working on yourself! You got this! Every day is a new opportunity to grow and get stronger!
25. Declutter and purge! Having a messy house or room can make us feel blah and can put us in a mood. Get rid of things you don’t need. Purging is the best feeling! Been there done that, and it’s amazing! 🙂
26. BE KIND! When you put good energy into the world, good energy comes back to you. Don’t make fun of bigger people on the treadmill trying to better themselves, or videotaping someone doing an exercise wrong, instead maybe go up to them and show the person how to do it correctly.
27. “It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon” Trust the process. Things take time. No matter what you’re goal is, trying to move up in your job, losing weight, gaining muscle mass, saving money for something special, learn to understand that everything takes its sweet a$$ time, but instead of being rushed, learn to enjoy the whole process!
28. Enjoy life! You’re going to have setbacks, but learn to make the most of it! Just because you’re on a fitness journey and your friends aren’t, doesn’t mean you have to turn down the events! GO out there and ENJOY every second of your life! Life goes by too fast and we need to learn to say yes more often. You can still be healthy and out with people who don’t have the same goals as you. Learn to work on having a balanced lifestyle! It’s the best thing I’ve learned! You can workout hard and still enjoy going out with having a glass of bubbly!