A bowl of hot steamy oatmeal right off the stove on a cold winter’s day. The bowl is filled with what seems like the inside of an apple pie. Apple chunks with cinnamon, sweet but not overly sweet, topped with crunchy granola…
If that didn’t get you excited then we’re not friends. #foodie4life
Our neighbour randomly came to our door one day and gave us a big bag of fresh apples from the downtown farmers market. We love our fruit in our household, but it’s just Jamie and I and we had this whole bag of apples just for us. We had to use it all before it got old. I hate wasting food. Jamie ended up just putting a bunch of stuff together and made this oatmeal bowl. I had to try it because It literally smelled like he baked something.
This is the best oatmeal recipe I have ever tried! It really does taste like the inside of an apple pie! And guess what? It’s not only super duper delicious, but it’s healthy too! It also has added protein! You know sometimes when you make a “healthy recipe” with protein powder and it doesn’t taste that good? Well this is the COMPLETE opposite. You can’t even taste the protein powder at all.
I wanted to share the recipe with you because eating healthy can be easy and full of flavour. Sometimes it’s the quick and simple things that are life changing for your pallet.
Here is my recipe with the macros for what I used. I do switch up how much oatmeal I have with this dish depending on how hungry I am. I usually do 1/4 cup, which seems like a small amount, but it’s so filling and when you’re done cooking everything, trust me your bowl will be full.
- 1 red apple
- 1 scoop protein powder (Simple flavour like vanilla or birthday cake)
- Sprinkled Harvest crunch granola
- 1/4 cups of oats
- Cut up apple into small cubes
- Heat up small pot on medium high heat
- Throw in apples and cook them until they start to soften, stirring so they don’t stick to the bottom
- Add about a 1/2 cup of water, and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and stir throughly
- Add in your oatmeal, and add in more water slowly so the oatmeal is covered
- Add in more cinnamon (if you want) and cook until oatmeal is nice and thick
- Take off heat and add in 1 scoop of protein powder
- Mix thoroughly and add a bit more water as the protein powder tends to absorb a lot of liquid
- Once incorporated, place into a bowl of choice, sprinkle with some harvest crunch and any other toppings and enjoy
Adding the granola on top makes it really seem like it’s an apple crumble pie! Just be mindful of how much sugar is in your topping, hence why I do less than a serving size. You only need a little bit for that perfect crunch.
Calories – 348
Carbs – 46g
Fat – 7g
Protein – 30g
Sugar – 20g
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! I’m excited for you to try it. I’m telling you, this oatmeal is a true lifesaver when it comes to switching up your meals. This makes a great breakfast with some strong coffee or just a mid-day snack. You can even experiment a bit more and try using a different fruit! Blueberry pie anyone? 😉