Do diets work? Let me ask you a question first. Are you the type of person who has tried diet after diet? If so, I will explain and help teach you to the best of my ability that DIETS. DO. NOT. WORK. I’m not trying to be harsh or make you lose your motivation, but can you answer this question for me? Don’t you want to make a lifestyle change and keep this up for the long-term? Being on a diet basically means it’s just temporary, so all your hard work will go away, and we don’t want that!
A 2020 poll of 2,000 participants found that the average person will try at least two fad diets a year, which they end up quitting after a week.
What’s The Difference?
A DIET is just a new form of eating with an end goal in mind. People usually view diets as short-term. The whole nature of “a diet” is to persevere to the end, to hold out just a little longer until it is finally over and you can get back to your “normal”eating habits. People will make diets feel like a punishment. It will be uncomfortable, unpleasant, and when it’s “done” the weight will unfortunately come back on. A person on a diet will usually speak like this. “ouu, this food looks delicious, but I’m currently on a diet”. “I can wait a few more months”.
A LIFESTYLE change is permanent. When you decided to lose weight or gain some muscle mass there is no end in sight. Of course you can only bulk for so long, but wanting to eat clean and be better is a lifelong journey! A lifestyle change says it in the word, it’s for life. You are not constantly thinking of escaping, as if you were in a escape room. Rather, you are in it for good.
Instead of toughing it out, you find healthier alternatives. You create ways to enjoy your food and figure out how to adjust every area of your life to your new habits. Rather than being unpleasant, your day-to-day life becomes comfortable and fun! You also find a way to have a healthier relationship with food. You treat yourself to yummy, unhealthy snacks and shrug it off, because we are all humans! It’s life! We shouldn’t feel guilty when we indulge. Having a lifestyle change, we figure out what living a balanced lifestyle is! Losing weight or having any fitness goal in mind is very doable with this lifestyle change!
Major Keys For A Healthy Lifestyle
#1. EAT HEALTHY
- Eat all your meals each day, including breakfast!
- Don’t skip meals! I beg you! It will cause binge eating!
- Eat healthy whole foods, but don’t feel bad if you’re having pasta for dinner. I like to keep my lunches 100% clean and for dinners I’m more open to have anything that isn’t fast food.
- Eat clean snacks! Learn to make it fun. I LOVE oats. I eat that about 2-3 times when I’m bulking. Check out my “Overnight Oat Recipes” for some ideas! Yogurt with fruit, fruit bowl, rice cakes with PB, PB on toast with honey. 🙂 ETC!
- TREAT YO’ SELF GIRL! Eating out once a week or once every other week tastes SO much better than having it on the regular. I really enjoy it more.
#2. KNOW THAT CLEAN EATING IS A PART OF YOUR LIFE, NOT A “DIET”
- Prioritize making a grocery list so you know exactly what to get at the store. Eating clean is not expensive. Check out “Eating Clean On A Budget” to understand what I’m talking about. Always make sure you have fruit and veggies!
- Make a menu for the week and buy exactly what you need. It will make your life easier, I swear!
- Try to eat veggies with every meal!
- Leftovers are key! Make more lunches and dinners than you think because having it already prepped is a lifesaver.
- Try to always have your meals prepped! Snacks included! It’s so much easier to grab and go!
#3. DON’T DEPRIVE YOURSELF FROM THE MEALS AND SNACKS YOU ENJOY
Depriving yourself will lead to binge eating. Instead, enjoy it, but try not to eat junk every single day. I like not to have ice cream, cookies etc in the house. If I’m craving a snack bad enough, I’ll have to decide whether I want to get out of my comfies and go and grab a pint of Ben and Jerry’s! Having access to snacks will make it harder. Out of sight, out of mind!
#4. LEARN TO SAY NO TO THE FOOD PUSHERS
I can now say my willpower is 100%! When you aren’t hungry or don’t want that snack someone is offering, you just simply say “no thank you”. There is nothing wrong with saying no to someone’s food or dessert. Maybe someone will make a smart ass comment, which I have received, which is “she doesn’t eat”. But you know what? Who cares what they say! People will always have something to say when it involves bettering yourself. Learn to not give a f**k. This is the time to stay true to your goals! If you need more willpower or motivation read “Willpower 101”.
#5. DON’T PRIORITIZE FOOD WITH EVERY ACTIVITY YOU DO
Do you always have to go out with friends that involve being at a restaurant? There are so many other ways to enjoy being out with family and friends that don’t always involve food.
- If you go to the movies, sneak your food in your bag, or see what the theatre is selling. They have started selling Smart Sweets, which are delicious gummies that are healthier than normal candy. One whole bag only has like 3 grams of sugar and lots of fibre. Tastes amazing!
- Grab a coffee. Either sit inside and catch up or go for a walk.
#6. GET YOUR WATER IN TAKE IN
Don’t get confused with being hungry when you might be dehydrated. When we get busy we do mix up thirst for hunger. You should drink about 2 litres of water a day. It’s great for you and will flush out all the bacteria in your body. Our body does not crave fraps or any other high calorie drinks. If you need options to try and make water taste better, try BCAA’s, lemon, lime, cucumber, or low calorie MIO’s. So many options!
Find a fun active activity you enjoy and do it on a regular basis. The gym might not be for everyone, but try to pick up something to keep your body moving! If you do love the gym as much as I do, read my fun techniques to do during my workout. Your muscles won’t grow if you’re always using the same weights with the same reps, sets, etc. With this article I will put you through the toughest workout yet! Learn about supersets, dropsets, negatives, etc.
“Level Up Your Workouts”
#8. LEARN TO ZEN IT OUT
Working out or just being active quiet often, it’s great to let your body rest! What I like to do is write my workout plans in my calendar and have my rest days planned. 🙂
#9.LEARN TO COPE WITH YOUR EMOTIONS IN A HEALTHY WAY
When people are stressed, we lean towards food, smoking, booze, etc. Learn to cope with it in a healthier way. Have a hot bubble bath, go get a massage, facial, anything to take care of your body instead of tearing it down!
#10. HAVE FAITH AND BE PATIENT
Any goal or dream takes time, patience, consistency, and dedication. You will see results if you never give up, that I promise you.
PIN ME! <3